Friday, October 31, 2008

Split Pea Soup and the Tale of Meaty Bones


This day of the year in particular makes me long for a big fat bowl of split pea soup from Pea Soup Andersen's (word up Buellton!). Although I pried open a can this morning for breakfast to eat while watching CSPAN (I thought at least a couple would toe the line of congressional decorum, but the Joint Economic Committee Hearing on Economic Recovery left much to be desired, unless you consider Mrs. Mahoney's (could have been Maloney -- I was taking a bite when they flashed her name) helmet head a trick.

Anyway, I discovered that frozen corn seared with a little pico de gallo seasoning and fresh lime make a great addition to the canned version of Andersen's split pea soup. That is, in addition to Spike seasoning, of course. mmmm...

I've recently started reading this great blog"In Scout's Freezer," which recommends the following for making split pea soup: "If you don’t do pork, you could substitute any meaty bones you have in the freezer..." Straight from Scout to you. Hey, got some meaty bones in the freezer??? Why stop there? I've got some meaty bones. Maybe I should give Scout a call! Trick or Treat, Scout! I've got something for your split pea soup!!!

Do you have something else for Scout's split pea soup???

No comments: